Deals with matters pertaining to the future strategic planning and policy directions for research and research training as well as the development of the University's research culture and research profile.
Meeting dates 2017
Monday 13 February (Planning meeting)
Tuesday 14 March
Tuesday 2 May
Tuesday 27 June
Tuesday 22 August
Tuesday 3 October
Tuesday 7 November
Time: 9.30am to 11.30am
Location: Chancellery, room 4B, level 4, Building 1, Broadway (CB01.04B.18)
Senior Governance Support Officer
Tel: 02 9514 1226
Composition and membership
|Chair (elected by and from Academic Board)
||Professor Charles Rice
|Deputy Chair (nominated from Committee membership)
||Professor Fiona Brooks
|Deputy Vice-Chancellor and Vice-President (Research) or nominee
||Professor Glenn Wightwick
|Dean, Graduate Research School or nominee
||Professor Lori Lockyer
|Director, Institute of Sustainable Futures or nominee
||Professor Damien Giurco (nominee)
|Director, Research and Innovation Office or nominee
||Professor David Robson
|University Librarian, or nominee
||Sally Scholfield (nominee)
|One nominee from each Faculty (normally Associate Dean (Research)) nominated by the Dean of the Faculty
||Professor Alan McKee, Arts and Social Sciences
Professor Jenny Edwards, Business
To be advised, Design, Architecture and Building
Professor Jie Lu, Engineering and Information Technology
Professor Fiona Brooks, Health
Professor Brian Opeskin, Law
Associate Professor Michael Ford, Science
|Three Directors of UTS Research Strengths (as set out in the Research Strengths Statement), not necessarily members of Academic Board, nominated by the Deans of the University Faculties*
||Professor Dikai Liu
Professor Liz Harry
|Two early career researchers from academic staff (whose PhD or equivalent doctorate has been awarded within the past five years), not necessarily members of Academic Board, elected by the members of Academic Board
Dr Jonathon Lee Wardle
|Two research degree students, elected by and from research degree students of the University
|Co-opted members on the basis of their skills and experience as appropriate
||Professor Elizabeth Sullivan
Professor Larissa Behrendt
Professor Rosalie Viney
Professor Greg Skilbeck
Professor Mary Bebawy
On the recommendation of the Chair, the Committee has the power to approve the co-option of members on the basis of their skills and experience as appropriate.
* For the three Directors of UTS Research Strengths, if more nominations than positions available are received, successful candidates would be determined by lot drawn by the Returning Officer or nominee. If fewer nominations than positions available are received, the Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Research) would be requested to appoint candidates to the remaining positions.
The length of Committee membership terms will be two years for staff and one year for students, consistent with the term of membership for elected members of Academic Board.
Terms of reference
- To make recommendations to Academic Board on future strategic planning and policy directions for research, research training and intellectual property as it relates to the University's research activities
- to provide advice to Academic Board on the development of the University's research culture, communication and research profile
- to review regularly the University's research, research training and intellectual property policies (as they relate to the University's research activities) and recommend any necessary amendments to Academic Board
- to monitor the operation of the University's research strengths governance instruments and provide recommendations on research strengths, performance and direction, and
- to approve the guidelines, including the selection process, for key University internal research funding schemes.
The quorum shall be one–half of the current members of the Committee, if one-half is not a whole number, the next higher whole number shall be used.
Vacant positions on the Committee do not count toward the total membership of which one-half is required to reach a quorum.
Number of meetings
Minimum of six scheduled meetings per year.