Responsibilities and contacts
The UTS General Rules specify that the University Secretary is the Returning Officer for certain University elections. The Returning Officer may appoint a Deputy Returning Officer and others to assist in the conduct of all or any part of an election.
The Governance Support Unit is responsible for the conduct of all elections for which the University Secretary is the Returning Officer.
Elections conducted are for:
- student and staff members to the University Council and some committees of Council
- student and staff members to the Academic Board and some committees of Academic Board
- student and staff members to faculty boards.
Elections for other University bodies are also conducted by arrangement, such as for student and staff members to the Board of UTS Union Ltd.
The Electoral Officer in the Governance Support Unit is responsible to the Returning Officer and administers elections on behalf of the Returning Officer.
The Electoral Officer prepares and distributes all relevant information for an election, including:
- scheduling the election
- calling for nominations
- conducting a ballot when necessary
- counting votes, and
- publishing the result of the election.
All inquiries relating to elections should be directed, in the first instance, to:
Governance Support Unit
University of Technology, Sydney
PO Box 123
Broadway NSW 2007
telephone +61 2 9514 1235
fax +61 2 9514 1232