About the Committee
The Vice-Chancellor’s Indigenous Strategies Committee is the governing committee of the University in relation to the development and progression of the University’s Indigenous education and employment commitments, as set out in the Indigenous Education and Employment Policy.
The Committee will develop and endorse the following strategies:
The Committee reports to:
The following sub-committees report to the Vice-Chancellor’s Indigenous Strategies Commitee:
Meeting dates 2017
Wednesday 21 June
Tuesday 31 October
Location: Chancellery Boardroom, level 4, Building 1, City campus, Broadway (CCB01.04A.26)
Senior Governance Support Officer
Tel: 02 9514 1235
Fax: 02 9514 1232
Composition and membership
Membership should be inclusive of:
- suitably senior University staff members (executives, deans, directors) with relevant Key Performance Indicators attached to their roles
- a significant number of Indigenous staff members who hold key positions at the University
- Indigenous students.
While an Indigenous majority may be difficult to achieve, Vice-Chancellor’s Indigenous Strategies Committee membership should have significant Indigenous membership, comprised primarily of Indigenous people in significant and strategic positions within UTS. (Indigenous members are listed below in italics.)
|Provost (Chair) or a nominee from among the Deputy Vice-Chancellor members as Chair in the Provost’s absence*
||Professor Andrew Parfitt
|Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Corporate Services)
|Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Education and Students)
||Professor Shirley Alexander
|Deputy Vice-Chancellor (International and Advancement)
||Professor William Purcell
|Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Research)
||Professor Glenn Wightwick
|Director, Centre for the Advancement of Indigenous Knowledges, or named nominee*
||Professor Michelle Trudgett
|Director, Equity and Diversity Unit or named nominee*
|Director, Human Resources Unit (HRU)
|Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Indigenous Leadership and Engagement) or named nominee*
||Professor Michael McDaniel
|Director, Jumbunna Research Unit, or named nominee*
||Professor Larissa Behrendt
|Director, Planning and Quality Unit or named nominee*
|Chair, Academic Management Committee
||Professor Mary Spongberg
|Chair, Teaching and Learning Committee
||Associate Professor Rob Jarman
|Advancement Manager, Jumbunna
|Coordinator Indigenous Outreach, Jumbunna
|Coordinator Learning Development, Jumbunna
|Indigenous Employment Officer, Equity and Diversity Unit or named nominee*
|Manager Indigenous Student Services, JIHL
|One Indigenous student representative
|All Coordinators of Indigenous Away From Base (AFB) courses
|Co-opted members as appropriate to the work of the Committee, as appointed by the Chair.
||Professor Susan Page
* See note on quorum.
Terms of reference
In progressing Indigenous education and employment across UTS, the Vice-Chancellor’s Indigenous Strategies Committee will:
- Progress the University’s Indigenous objectives as set out in the Indigenous Education and Employment Policy.
- Consider any matter relating to Indigenous education and employment.
- Develop, endorse and monitor the progress of the UTS Indigenous Education and Wingara Indigenous Employment Strategies and related University Key Performance Indicators.
- Establish, as necessary, sub-committees and/or working groups for the purpose of providing specialist advice on any Indigenous matter relevant to the Committee.
- Refer for action or advice, any relevant matter to UTS Indigenous sub-committees or working groups.
- Seek advice from the Vice-Chancellor’s Indigenous Advisory Committee on any matter relevant to the Vice-Chancellor’s Indigenous Strategies Committee.
- Advise University equity committees as appropriate on Indigenous equity-related matters.
To be quorate, the seven members with an asterisk next to their position or their named nominees must be present.
Frequency of meetings
The Vice-Chancellor’s Indigenous Strategies Committee will meet at least twice per year.