About the Committee
The Indigenous Research Committee is a forum for the development and progression of Indigenous research across UTS. The UTS Indigenous research priorities include:
- increasing Indigenous staff and student research capacity
- increasing Indigenous higher degree by research student enrolment rates
- improving Indigenous higher degree by research student retention and completion rates
- promoting the protection of Indigenous cultural knowledge
- encouraging International Indigenous research links
- ensuring UTS adopts best practice principles and processes in relation to Indigenous research.
The Indigenous Research Committee reports to the Vice-Chancellor’s Indigenous Strategies Committee.
Meeting dates 2017
Tuesday 9 May
Tuesday 17 October
Location: Chancellery Boardroom, level 4, Building 1, City campus, Broadway (CCB01.04A.26)
Senior Governance Support Officer
Tel: 02 9514 9770
Fax: 02 9514 1232
Composition and membership
|Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Research) (Chair)*||Professor Glenn Wightwick
|Director of Research, Jumbunna Indigenous House of Learning (Jumbunna) or named nominee*||Professor Larissa Behrendt
|Dean, Graduate Research School or named nominee*||Professor Lori Lockyer
|Director, Research and Innovation Office or named nominee*||Professor David Robson
|Chair, UTS Ethics Committee or named nominee*||Dr Teresa Libesman (nominee)
|University Librarian or named nominee||Dr Belinda Tiffen (nominee)
|One Associate Dean (Research), to be appointed by the Chair||Professor Jie Lu
|Research-active Indigenous staff member(s), to be appointed by the Chair following a call for expressions of interest
||Associate Professor Gawaian Bodkin-Andrews
|One Indigenous HDR student to be appointed by the Chair in consultation with the Director of Research, Jumbunna following a call for expressions of interest||Tui Nolan
|Indigenous Employment Officer, Equity and Diversity Unit||Matthew Walsh
|Co-opted members as deemed appropriate to the progression of Section 4: Indigenous Research of the Indigenous Education Strategy and determined by the Chair||Professor Michelle Trudgett
Professor Elizabeth Sullivan
* See note on quorum.
Terms of reference
The Indigenous Research Committee will:
- Consider, develop and progress Indigenous research at UTS.
- Recommend practical initiatives for inclusion into relevant sections of the Indigenous Education Strategy.
- Coordinate and implement to initiatives aimed at progressing Indigenous research across UTS.
- Provide advice or action as appropriate any relevant matters referred to it by the Vice-Chancellor’s Indigenous Strategies Committee.
Term of office
The term of office for a member of the Indigenous Research Committee, other than a member required for quorum (as indicated by an asterisk next to their position), will be two years.
Review of membership
The composition and membership of the Indigenous Research Committee will be reviewed periodically by the Chair in accordance with the procedures approved by the Vice-Chancellor’s Indigenous Strategies Committee and amended from time to time.
To be quorate, the five members with an asterisk next to their position or their named nominees (where applicable) must be present.
Frequency of meetings
The Indigenous Research Committee meets at least twice per year.